Google Doodle on Sunday, 5 nov, celeberated 90th Birthday of Hirotugu Akaike.
We all know that if someome or something makes it to the google doodle, it definitely has to be something big or someone important. Google doodle has been quiet secretive about the selection criteria as to what will be included in the google doodle and what not, as a result, it has sometimes got quiet a few new fan but at the same time, managed to make some people angry whose topics which they believe we relevant were not included in the doodle ever.
Today, we will try to shed some light on Hirotugu Akaikes Life, the man featured by doodle today.
Who was Hirotugu Akaike?
Hirotugu Akaike (赤池 弘次 Akaike Hirotugu) (November 5, 1927 – August 4, 2009) was a Japanese statistician.
What did Hirotugu Akaike do?
In the early 1970s, Hirotugu Akaike formulated a criterion for model selection—the Akaike information criterion, which was widely accepted throughout and is currently widely used globally.
When was Hirotugu Akaike born and When did he died?
He was born on November 5, 1927 and died on August 4, 2009.
Akaike Guest House,is a guest house in Tachikawa, Tokyo, named after Professor Hirotugu Akaike, of Research Organization of Information and Systems.
In the year 2006, he was awarded the Kyoto Prize for his contribution to modeling and statistical science in the development of the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC)
Some of his most prominent works include
- Akaike, Hirotugu (December 1974). “A new look at the statistical model identification”. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. 19 (6): 716–723. doi:10.1109/TAC.1974.1100705.
- Akaike, H. (1976). Canonical correlation analysis of time series and the use of an information criterion. R.K. Mehra, and D.G. Lainiotis (eds.) System Identification: Advances and Case Studies, 27–96. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- Akaike, H. (1977). On entropy maximization principle. P.R. Krishnaiah (ed.) Applications of statistics, 27–41. North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Akaike, H. (1978). A new look at the Bayes procedure. Biometrika
- Akaike, H. (1978). A Bayesian analysis of the minimum AIC procedure. Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics
- Akaike, H. (1978). On the likelihood of a time series model. The Statistician